
Oh, wait. There isn't any food in that picture. But it looks very nice. Very, very nice. And quiet. Where are the toy cars? Sippy cups? Random articles of clothing??
Okay, so maybe my backyard would actually look like this:

There, now. And of course my "fake" kid would have spent a lovely, diligent afternoon beside me, digging perfect holes, placing healthy lush plants, and sprinkling them with water. We would have sipped on lemonade, the lemons having grown on our very own lemon tree. (Do lemon trees even grow in North Carolina?) We would plan our meals around what was in season. We would never waste ANYTHING. Any scraps would be thrown outside for deer, squirrels, voles, and possums (who were in turn so appreciative that they never fucked with my fantasy garden).
We started out fairly well. I made delicious homemade baby food, not from my garden but from locally grown, organic crops. Okay, so maybe Robert made it, but it was under my direction. And baby Max actually liked it!

I swear he liked it! I swear! He's just being overly expressive in this picture.
I don't even have a picture of Maeve eating baby food because she hated it. I do, however, have a picture of the food I made for her, and I will show it to my grandchildren and great grandchildren as proof of my superior homemaking skills. I'm sure they won't think I'm really just full of shit.

Something quite mysterious happened after baby #2, and all of my well thought out plans for how I wanted to raise my children went out the window. Pure and utter chaos ensued, during which time the chicken nugget became the staple food product. At first it was only once a week. Then it became three times a week. Which then turned into daily. And now, gulp, sometimes it's twice daily. For some reason, allowing the chicken nugget into my home justified the consumption of other unmentionable foods. But I'll mention them anyway. We have the Little Bites chocolate chip muffins. They NEVER are stale. They are moist and delicious. It's just my kids who eat them, on my honor...

We also have the coffee drink. My kids know the words "coffee," "latte," and "mocha frappuccino". They also know the restaurant names AND locations of where to get these drinks. And no, I'm not bragging. Okay, maybe I am. In the most embarrassing kind of way.

And then there is candy. My kids' favorites: sour patch kids, suckers, and m&m's (which I actually justify as acceptable because it represents their identity, if only in the form of initials). Here is 9-month-old Maeve eating a sucker from Halloween. (The fact that I can post this unabashedly must mean my crunchy, earthy, healthy soul has been sold to the junk food demons.)

I really think the chicken nugget is the gateway food item to even more alarming junk, such as Capri Sun drink bags and, gasp, french fries.


Now I feel really dirty inside and also bizarrely relieved like when you tell someone an unbecoming secret just so it doesn't have to stay inside anymore. However, even after looking at all of these pictures, and feeling horribly itchy mother-remorse, I STILL think I'm doing a pretty good job. I also think I'm capable of doing much better. I think my problem started with having these completely unrealistic expectations about what it means to be a good mother. I established these rules for myself that I now realize were setting me up for feeling like a failure. Such as... giving your baby a bottle is lazy and unnatural.

Putting your baby in a walker is dangerous and detached (both physically and emotionally).

Giving your baby a pacifier and decorating her with bows will simultaneously give her nipple confusion and gender identity issues.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still feel like a failure WAY too much, but I also try to be a little more realistic about my standards for motherhood. If I showed my kids love, acceptance, and security just A LITTLE bit more than I showed them my ass, we have all had a good day. And if I didn't, there is always tomorrow. And about the food, I'm going to set a goal to only give them chicken nuggets once a week. Errr, scratch that, twice a week. AND I'm going to clean out my car tomorrow so the McDonald's bags don't sing their hot, salty songs to me.

Do you have any of your own junk food woes to confess? Just between you and me... ;)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
We all try our best. Then real life gets in the way. I am so grateful that BJ's sells a giant bag of chicken nuggets. Heck...there was a time when Aidan ate them three meals a day. Parenting is a pure guts race and the goal is survival. If you have happy kids (I use happy loosely in our house..Logan is happy..but the tantrums do prevail some days...OK some weeks it is most days.) then you are doing a great job being their Mama. They have love, get love, give love. That's pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteOh Carrie, I've seen some of your culinary creations and they are genius!
DeleteIt's the same over here, but with pb&j. Most days it's all i can get Gabe to eat, but I figure, at least I use natural peanut butter, low sugar jam, and whole wheat bread.... right? I won't mention how many marshmallows my kids eat, or how many boxes of fruit bars we go through a week. I usually feel the worst when we get fast food. I hate prodding them to eat more of a meal I didn't want them having it the first place.
ReplyDeleteI wish mine would eat pb&j's! So easy and the way you make them, healthy too! Max will eat a sub sandwich or bagel sandwich (with cheese and veggies - I know, yay!). But Maeve is such a crappy eater. And I hear ya about not even caring if they finish a fast food meal, but then the whole wastefulness things starts to eat at me... sigh.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing we all start out with these ideas of grandeur, making home made baby food, feeding them organic, only nursing, cloth diapering, and never letting them watch TV... and then reality. I think what I realize is I can only do what works best for my family. I avoided McDonald's like it was a disease... and now I go.. not a lot... but I still take them. Sometimes it's easier then arguing with them and it's great in a time crunch. My family eats out way too much and I keep justifying it by telling myself they are trying new things... not that I'm too tired and lazy to cook :) I just bought my first box of capri suns the other day. Aidan reminded me they are healthy b/c they are made with real fruits and vegatables.... or so he says...
ReplyDeleteYou find what works for your family and run with it! I am willing to compromise so much on my other rules but the eating crap has just gotten way out of hand. And unfortunately cooking seriously stresses me out and I'm never happy making quick meals, they end up turning into 3 hour endeavors and by that point I'm so sick of looking at it that I don't want to eat it haha.
Delete